Search available homes in Clayton
The 4,700 acre neighborhood of Stapleton is bounded by Quebec Street to the west, Peoria Street to the east, and Adams County to the north and south. The neighborhood is named for the former site of Stapleton International Airport, which operated as Denver’s primary airport from 1929 to 1995. In 1944, the airport was renamed for 1920s Mayor Benjamin Franklin Stapleton who was instrumental in building the airport, amid much opposition.
The redevelopment of Stapleton began in 2001, includes mixed-use development, and now claims more than 7,000 residents. Development is expected to take place through 2020.
Sources: Stapleton Website, by Forest City Enterprises, Inc. at www.stapletondenver.com/ Accessed on Oct. 22, 2007.
Denver’s Ups and Downs, City and County of Denver at http://www.denvergov.org/AboutDenver/history.asp Accessed on Oct. 19, 2007.